Monday, November 7, 2016

Never underestimate images and words of strength, compassion, peace, and justice because they can influence the masses just as the words of war have dominated our language.

Images deeply impact our emotional, political, and physical selves. When I see a strong, articulate, female leader that is smart, funny, and full of joy--I think to myself: I can achieve that too. When I was younger and first saw paintings by Frida Kahlo, I wanted to be like her. I wanted to be able to express my pain in paintings. What I came to realize is that paintings contain the pain of the artist in their work. And certainly Frida and Van Gogh, to name a few of my favorite artists, painted behind their pain. I use painting very differently, but my therapy is words. I have felt many years trapped in silence, but recently, I have found it necessary to speak my truth and story through writings, and poems. I have found my inspiration in other writers, and particularly feminist writers, critical thinkers, and story tellers. So, never underestimate images and words of strength, compassion, peace, and justice because they can influence the masses just as the words of war have dominated our language.

No comments:

Post a Comment