Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I eat a fig from the tree (poem) by Cassie Kinney

These fall nights are becoming cold,
But I step out onto the porch,
To feel the temperature of the day,
As the sun shines over the hill.
I slip on my shoes,
And walk among the plants.
I go to my fig tree every morning,
Eyeing a plump, purple fruit.
One or two are usually ready to eat.
I eat a fig, then a strawberry, then a radish
From cool October garden.

I uncover the lettuce garden,
And the potted plants too,
So they can breathe during the day.
I pick a piece or two of the greens,
And some carrots too.
From inside the house,
I take my potted plants out,
Onto the porch to catch some sun.
I read by my garden;
And as the evening draws near,
The sun is going down,
I cover my gardens once again,
And bring my potted plants inside.
I do this again, everyday, until the plants die.

No comments:

Post a Comment